SERVICE SPOTLIGHT: New Epiphany League Member Deb Curley
October 13, 2015
1. When did your interest in service come about?
In high school, I attended St Vincent's Academy in Shreveport, Louisiana, run by the Daughters of the Cross. In the entryway of the high school stood a statue of St Vincent de Paul, patron saint of the order. St Vincent's emphasis on person to person service to individuals in need was a strong component of my high school years.
2. How did you decide to choose to volunteer your time on behalf of the women and children of Epiphany Center? The Holy Spirit definitely played a role! By chance, I found an announcement in the back of Notre Dame des Victoires church publicizing the Epiphany League's Mother's Day luncheon. I attended the luncheon as a single and left enriched by the members of the League whom I met and the client stories of new beginnings that I heard. Mary Rhoades invited me to tour the Epiphany Center - who can resist its mission of building stronger families? Here I am!
3. What is your favorite memory so far, with the League and why? Hands down, my favorite memory so far is listening to the Epiphany Joyful Noise Choir at the September Tea. The ladies in the choir were joyful and beautiful.
4. What have you learned during your time working with Epiphany Center? (Or, what do you hope to learn?) I hope to learn how I can make a difference in the lives of the women and children served by the Epiphany Center, and how we can spread the good news of the Epiphany Center to the people of San Francisco.
5. What or who inspires you? First and foremost, I am inspired by Jesus Christ and strive to be Christ to others. I want to live the gospel. Secondly, I am inspired by my family - my parents, my sisters, my husband and children. We are all here to help one another get to heaven through our faith and deeds; that is our mission.
6. Of the five major Vincentian Values of Respect, Compassionate Service, Simplicity, Advocacy for the Poor, and Creativity, which one is your favorite to practice and why? My favorite practice is respect - recognizing the person of Jesus in each and every person I encounter.
7. What do you enjoy most about volunteering here in the city of San Francisco? I love that volunteering is often a walk, or a bus ride, away. Volunteering is easy and fulfilling in this city of grateful people.
8. What is your favorite spot in SF? The Presidio
9. Where were you born? Shiner, Texas - home of Shiner Beer!
Are you interested in joining the Epiphany League? Please contact Mary Rhoades at (415) 351 4055 or email@example.com.
The purpose of the Epiphany League is to raise funds to ensure holistic care for the most vulnerable women, children, and families in San Francisco, to directly benefit clients through service projects, and to broaden community awareness of Epiphany Center